Medtronic was founded in 1949 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, by Earl E. Bakken and Palmer J. Hermundslie. Medtronic of Canada Ltd. was the first subsidiary of Medtronic outside the United States, operating in Vancouver, British Columbia as of August 1968. The Canadian head office was relocated to Ontario in 1974. Our Brampton, Ontario campus is now the Canadian Headquarters housing our training and education centre, sales, marketing, and administrative functions.
Medtronic employs over 1,100 people in Canada, and includes regional offices in Vancouver and Montreal, as well as manufacturing in the Montreal and Mississauga regions.
Medtronic's Brampton headquarters was designed according to Leadership in Energy Efficiency & Design (LEED) principles to provide an energy efficient work space using innovative, state of the art technology to reduce our impact on the environment.
Some of the energy saving technologies include:
- Energy efficient lighting with daylight harvesting system
- Over 44% reduction in indoor potable water use
- Over 75% of construction waste diverted from landfill
- Healthy non-toxic interiors and superior air quality
- Responsible selection of materials used from local sources with high recycled content
- White roof to reflect radiant energy
At Medtronic, we are committed to doing all that we can to reduce our carbon footprint.